With so much uncertainty in the world today, with many business employees working from home, many business owners are primarily concerned about how the COVID-19 Coronavirus will affect the health of their company long-term. But for many companies throughout the San Jose area, employees must continue to go to work, including grocery store staff, gas station attendants, and other essential services. For these companies, the health of the employees is paramount.
For over 20 years, SourceONE has been offering commercial cleaning services in the San Jose area and we strive to go above and beyond to ensure that your commercial office or building is as clean and sanitized as possible. As the novel COVID-19 Coronavirus has spread across the area, we have worked to increase our standards and improved the way that we clean. Sanitizing each surface is a primary defense against the spread of the virus, so we need to be diligent with our cleaning methods, techniques, and standards.
The CDC has outlined recommendations for how to clean and disinfect community facilities, here are a few key points from their outline.
- When using disposable gloves, gowns, or masks when cleaning and disinfecting, they should be carefully removed and thrown away right after disinfection.
- Clean dirty surfaces prior to disinfection. Use regular soap and water to clean a surface and remove any debris that could carry the virus. After an initial cleaning, use a disinfectant to thoroughly sanitize the surface.
- There are several EPA-approved disinfectants, but if you don’t have access to these products, you can make an at-home solution with 1/3rd cup bleach per gallon of water for floor cleaning or large surfaces and 4 tablespoons of bleach per quart of water for spray bottles.
- When using disinfectant wipes, use one wipe per item and make sure that the surface remains wet with disinfectant for four minutes.
- Disinfectant wipes should never be reused.
- Avoid mixing cleaning products together.
- In common areas, clean surfaces that are touched frequently need to be cleaned regularly, including tables, chair backs, doorknobs, light switches, phones, remotes, touchscreens, toilets, and sinks.
- Shared electronics and equipment like computers, keyboards, signs, or kiosks should be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.
- Hands should be washed before and after putting on gloves.
- Hands should be washed after coming in contact with someone who is sick. Wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds, ensuring that fingernails, the space in between fingers, the backs of the hands, and thumbs are thoroughly cleaned.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol can be used when soap and water are not available.
- Hands should be washed after blowing one’s nose, coughing, or sneezing; after using the restroom, before eating or preparing food, before and after caring for another person, such as a child.
- Avoid touching your face after coming in contact with a surface or person that has not been sanitized or could be sick.
Considerations For Employers
- Employers should work with their local and state health departments to ensure that all cleaning and disinfection protocols are being followed.
- Educate staff and employees on proper cleaning and sanitizing techniques.
- Educate staff on how to recognize symptoms and what to do if they get sick.
While there is still a risk of the virus spreading, it will take everyone working together and doing their part to prevent it from spreading further. Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces will have a significant impact on killing the virus before it can be picked up and spread. Whether you are at work or at home, the above guidelines will ensure that everyone and every surface remains as clean as possible.
SourceONE Building Maintenance is doing everything possible to protect the businesses and individuals throughout the San Jose area. With each building we work in, we are committed to providing the very best commercial cleaning services. We want business owners and employees to have full confidence that their work environment is safe and completely disinfected. From all kitchen and breakroom surfaces to bathroom sinks, knobs, toilets, door handles, desks, computers, tables, and more, any surface that is at risk, we will thoroughly clean and disinfect.
If you are in need of commercial cleaning services, get in touch with the team at SourceONE. We are ready to help stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus.